Monday, September 1, 2008

Sunday Field Days - My First Attempt at Open Air Preaching


Sunday was a hot and sunny day which meant there were alot of people at Field Days. It was a day marked by alot of "First Time" witnessing adventures. It was my first time to witness to a couple that called themselves "Brooklyn Roman Catholics". I'm still not sure what distinction Brooklyn makes. :-) It was my first time to witness in depth to a Muslim man. We had a very friendly conversation and parted shaking hands with the understanding of how Christians view and know Jesus to be. It was a first time, at least that I know of, witnessing to a Jewish man. He kept that a secret until the very end of the conversation, shook my hand, but refused to take a tract. And... finally by the Grace of God, it was a first time for me to jump up on chair, trivia questions and stuffed animals in hand, to draw a crowd to share the law and the gospel in the open air. I just praise God for where he has grown me of the past couple years. It is nothing short of Him working in me. I would never have thought I would be out in the public sharing my faith as I have. You reading this may say, "I could never do that." But God can change you, He can give you the courage and boldness to step out and be faithful in even the small ways so that Gospel seeds could be sown and watered. I still tremble every time I go to pass a tract. But it drives me to my "knees" as I then take it to the LORD in prayer. He supplies the boldness and courage. Always remember that it is a winning situation every time you share your faith. The person could accept the message. That's a WIN. A seed could be planted for another person to water. That's a WIN. Or the person could reject it. That's a WIN too. Why? Because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. We are to rejoice and leap for joy for great is our reward in heaven. I thank God for Mark Cahill pointing this out with the following scriptures. It really does allow you to conquer your fear when sharing your faith.

Luke 6:22,23 says, Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

And

1 Peter 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.


Pictures will be added soon.

No comments: